At a glance
- Directing action and action sequences
- Gain the confidence necessary for directing the camera and the actors
- Taught by a film director with over 100 commercials and shorts and 4 feature films
What you will learn
Who should attend
Filmmakers seeking a better understanding of how action sequences are planned and shot.
Session One: Preparation (Thursday 22nd April, 19:00 – 21:00)
1900 – 21:00 UK time Preparation is everything in filmmaking. And so important in directing action where there are so many moving parts that need to be choreographed and rehearsed. Preparation is key and you do it on paper! Lots of secrets divulged in this session.
- How to stage an action scene
- Staging action need not be expensive and time consuming.
- Learn how to create dynamic action with modest resources.
- How to maximise coverage
- Shooting an action film without Hollywood budgets is a skill
- Storyboarding and prepping your action
Session 2: Rehearsing and the shoot (Monday 26th April, 19:00 – 21:00)
1900 – 21:00 UK time Once your action plan is on paper, this session will show you how to activate your plan, making the most of the visualisation and leaving plenty of options for your editor.
- Blocking action
- Where does everyone stand ?
- How do I shoot this thing? We’ll show you.
- Creating a style or look for your action sequences
- Finding an original look and feel to your action scenes.
- Action editing and sound design
- How to bring your action scene to life in the editing process.
Improve your directing skills. Consider this class: Directing and the DP
About the tutor
Simon Hunter has directed over fifty tv commercials and three feature films. His directing debut was the horror movie LIGHTHOUSE in the year 2000 and he went on to direct the visual effects-laden sci-fi movie THE MUTANT CHRONICLES in 2008. Simon’s first feature, Lighthouse, was released theatrically in 2002. Simon subsequently became a much sort after commercials director before returning to features with Edward R Pressman’s Mutant Chronicles in the Summer of 2006. Simon flew to Qatar in 2014 to direct 20 episodes of a Scifi adventure series set in the desert. The filming takes place in Qatar, Jordan and India. In 2017 Simon directed his passion project, EDIE which tells the tale of an older lady who climbs a mountain in Scotland at the age of eighty-three. The film has had an enthusiastic and successful theatrical release in the UK and has sold to multiple territories. Simon lives in the German capital, Berlin. Since 1999 he has regularly lectured for Raindance and other leading film organisations. Read Breaking in as a Film Director by Simon Hunter