After keeping it tightly under wraps for a while now, we are so very excited to announce the launch of Raindance VRX Awards and a dedicated virtual reality strand within the annual Raindance Film Festival, running alongside the main Official Selection.
The new awards will celebrate pioneering VR experiences by independent creators from around the world. The winners in 10 categories will be announced at the 25th Raindance Film Festival.
Here’s what those 10 categories are:
- Best Interactive Narrative Experience
- Best Mobile Interactive Experience
- Best Cinematic Narrative Experience
- Best Documentary Experience
- Best Music Experience
- Best Animation Experience
- Best Branded Experience
- Best Sensual Experience
- Best Social Impact Experience
- Best Sound Design Experience
In addition, Raindance will continue to nurture and embrace education opportunities for creators and new talent by offering a number of VR courses taught by leading practitioners in the field.
- Raindance VR Masterclass: Virtual Reality 101 and Distribution Models
- Raindance VR Masterclass: Creative Storytelling and Narratives in VR
- Raindance VR Masterclass: The Power of Intimacy in VR
- Raindance VR Masterclass: Crafting VR Experiences for Social Change and Impact
- Saturday VR Film School
- Hands-On Virtual Reality Workshop
“We are thrilled to be launching Raindance VRX awards and new courses for virtual reality. We believe VR is a powerful new medium and the most exciting change in filmmaking since the onslaught of internet distribution which started with Youtube in 2005.” Elliot Grove, Founder of Raindance Film Festival.
The Raindance VR strand will take place throughout the 25th Raindance Film Festival from 20th September – 1st October 2017 in London. It will feature a VR arcade and a jam-packed schedule of events with industry experts covering new advances in virtual reality narratives and technologies.
Mária Rakušanová, the brand new Director of VR and New Media at Raindance adds: “Raindance aims to champion and award pioneering VR experiences, and nurture a new generation of talent. As the possibilities of VR technologies continue to grow, more and more exciting opportunities for creators will arise. We are dedicated to finding new virtual reality experiences and helping fresh voices to be discovered.”
Submissions for VR experiences are open. For further information on how to submit visit: www.raindancefestival.org/virtual-reality