Raindance Accelerated BTEC Level 5 HND in Moving Image (leading towards entry to a Raindance Masters Degree in Film)
This is a full-time University level course for those who wish to pursue a career in the film industry such as screenwriting, directing, producing or cinematography. Students will build a foundation in all pathways and upon successful completion and approval, will have the opportunity to progress onto a one-year Masters programme with Raindance in their third year. Through Raindance, students will have the opportunity to attend renowned courses delivered by industry professionals and attend our networking events to develop further opportunities.
We offer so much more than just an education…
Don’t mistake our HND course with others on offer. Let’s summarise just some of the benefits you will receive when studying with us:
- You can achieve a full Masters degree in just 3 years; the same time as a traditional University undergraduate Degree.
- Flexible tuition that allows you to adjust your lessons between cohorts, to plan around your work/life commitments.
- Interest-free payment plans so you can pay as you earn.
- Access to over £4,000 worth of Raindance’s renowned, industry-led signature courses
- Small class sizes with specialist tutors
- Individually licensed access to the full Adobe Creative Cloud, allowing you to install all the software you need on your own devices.
- A truly flexible study programme that allows you to work full-time whilst studying a full-time course during days, evenings, or weekends.
- BFI and Raindance membership with access to exclusive events, online forums, and networking events throughout the course, worth £95.
- Complimentary pass to Raindance Film festival worth over £100 per year.
- Access to our networking events giving you the opportunity to get out there as soon as you start.
What is a HND?
The Higher National Diploma (HND) is an internationally recognised UK qualification that provides specialist vocational learning at levels 4 and 5. HNDs are delivered at universities and colleges and are considered the equivalent of the first two years of a three-year university degree course. Students can often progress onto the final year of a degree programme to obtain a full B.Sc./B.A. (Hons). The HND in Moving Image allows you to progress onto our Master’s Postgraduate programme in Film, saving you a year over conventional routes.
What days do I need to go in?
What is the typical class size?
We aim to restrict class sizes to 15 per group. This allows us to run practical workshops and give all our students on-going hands-on support throughout their learning.
Do you offer accomodation?
What are the entry requirements?
Students under 21 years should ideally have GCSE English at grade A*-C (grade 9 – 4) and a full Level 3 qualification such as BTEC, A Level or an Access to HE Course. If you have industry experience, we can consider your application on a case-by-case basis.
Students over 21 can apply as mature students providing they can demonstrate the ability (and experience) to study at the appropriate level. Employment history will be advantageous and qualifications taken several years ago will also be taken into account.
What will I study on the course?
All students study common modules in their first year. This builds the foundation of the study programme:
HND – Year 1 Modules:
- Contextual studies for creative media production
- Research techniques for creative media production
- Practical skills for moving image production
- Film studies
- Camera and lighting techniques for moving image production
- Development and techniques for film and video editing
- Promotional video production
- Script writing for moving image fiction.
Raindance Year 1 Courses:
- Saturday film school
- Filmmakers foundation certificate
- Directors foundation certificate
- Writers foundation certificate
- Technical foundation certificate
- Basic cinematography
- Hands on directing 1
- Hands on directing 2
- Directing actors
- Movie Genre Foundation Certificate.
In the second year, students start to specialise in specific areas of filmmaking, developing their skills further and working in teams on industry-style projects.
HND – Year 2 Modules:
- Project design, implementation and evaluation
- Special subject investigation for creative media production
- Career development for the moving image industries
- Fiction production for the moving image
- Sound design for moving image production
- Producer for moving image production
- Director for moving image production
- Moving image documentary production.
Raindance – Year 2 Courses:
- Producers foundation certificate
- Documentary foundation certificate
- Comedy intensive with Steve Kaplan
- Lo-To-No budget filmmaking with Elliot Grove
- Saturday VR film school
- Create and market your web series
- Script analysis for directors
- The short film project
- Write and sell the Hot script
- Pitching Skills Workshop.
* Units can be subject to change.
How is the course assessed?
Assessment is through a series of assignments including research modules, hands-on practical exercises and group projects.
Units are interlinked to replicate “real world” scenarios and offer the opportunity for students to build a range of skills to maximise employment opportunities.
Where next - further studies
Upon successful completion and approval, students can progress onto the Raindance Master’s one-year programme in Film, allowing them to obtain a Masters Degree within 3 years of starting this course.
Where next - job opportunites
Students can enter employment in a wide range of roles within the film industry. Careers include screenwriting, directing, producing, documentary filmmaking or cinematography.
Do I need anything else before I start?
You will just need a laptop computer that meets the requirements to run the Adobe Creative Suite. If you don’t have a laptop computer, Raindance can supply you one at a discounted price. Come and talk to us before making your purchase.
What our graduates are saying
“This programme is like a dream factory and the hits just keep on coming!”
– M. Crossman, Canada
” I met and retained network contacts with professionals of all levels in the industry during and through the course. I now have a resource of practitioners in the life cycle of filmmaking who are practically my virtual team.”
– C. Obi, UK
“I got an opportunity to shoot and debut my short film at the Raindance Film Festival. In this programme I was clearly able to identify my core competency and gain a greater understanding of my craft.”
– S. Bandaranayake, Sri Lanka
“As an M.A Graduate student of Raindance, I can attest that this program has benefited me in both academic and practical development as a professional filmmaker. I chose this program above any other University graduate film program because it offers me the diversity and the structure to actually learn how to become a writer, producer and director in the real world.
I have thus far achieved several milestones in market research, and I am well on my way to producing my first feature film.
In addition, the program offers flexibility and a support system that is necessary to my connections and overall personal achievements. As a full time parent, the program flexibility is fundamental to my success.
I highly recommended this Masters Degree Program to any person serious in pursuing a career as an independent filmmaker in Canada.”
– Kimberly Hennessy, Montreal, Producer, Screenwriter, Raindance M.A. Student
“Having over a decade of corporate experience in Toronto’s financial sector the M. A. program offered me an opportunity to enhance my experience and career potential whether partially or fully transitioning into filmmaking, due to its flexible nature.
This self-directed, but academically and professionally guided, program allows students to structure their studies to build upon their professional backgrounds or to explore and exponentially grow their understanding of new concepts. The ultimate result being a thesis that provides potential insight and growth to the film industry and a multitude of opportunities for the students.
What I hope and believe I will get out of this program at its end: academic growth and certification, unique industry expertise and recognition, strategic networking, and career opportunities.”
– Wilson Chan, Director, Raindance M.A. Program
“Thanks to the support I got from the Raindance MA I was able to get a job as a University Lecturer in Television Production. The Raindance Postgraduate course and the Raindance/ Staffordshire tutors have enabled me to develop my theoretical approaches to Film and TV production – taking my career to the next level. The practical workshops I have attended have also enabled me to keep up to date with current industry practices. The weekend seminars with scriptwriters and script gurus have been fantastic and have provided me with a whole host of techniques to try out. Thank you.”
– Kerry Masters, Postgrad Student 2012
How do I apply?
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.