HND in Filmmaking
This internationally recognised University level courses for those who wish to pursue a career in the film industry such as screenwriting, directing, producing or cinematography. Students will build a foundation in all pathways related to creating visual content.
Raindance Accelerated BTEC Level 5 HND in Film (leading towards entry to a Raindance Masters Degree in Film)
This is a full-time University level course for those who wish to pursue a career in the film industry such as screenwriting, directing, producing or cinematography. Students will build a foundation in all pathways and upon successful completion and approval, will have the opportunity to progress onto a one-year Masters programme with Raindance in their third year. Through Raindance, students will have the opportunity to attend renowned courses delivered by industry professionals and attend our networking events to develop further opportunities.
We offer so much more than just an education…
Don’t mistake our HND course with others on offer. Let’s summarise just some of the benefits you will receive when studying with us:
- Flexible tuition that allows you to plan around your work/life commitments.
- Access to Raindance’s renowned, industry-led signature courses
- Small class sizes with specialist tutors
- Opportunity to have your film projects screened at the Raindance film Festival in London, complete with Q&A and after-party.
- Raindance membership with access to exclusive events, online forums, and networking events throughout the course.
- Complimentary pass to Raindance Film festival worth over £100 per year.
- Access to our networking events giving you the opportunity to get out there as soon as you start.
- Membership with Backstage offering workshops and free use of their casting services. Backstage is the most trusted international name in casting, with over 30,000 projects being cast through the site each year
See what our students have to say:
See what our students have made:
Edited by Adam Maidment (HND Student, Year 2)
What is a HND?
What days do I need to go in?
What is the typical class size?
Do you offer accomodation?
What are the entry requirements?
Students over 21 can apply as mature students providing they can demonstrate the ability (and experience) to study at the appropriate level. Employment history will be advantageous and qualifications taken several years ago will also be taken into account.
What will I study on the course?
All students study common modules in their first year. This builds the foundation of the study programme:
HND – Year 1 Modules:
- Individual Project (Pearson-set)
- Creative Media Industry
- Professional Practice
- Film & Television Practices
- Film Studies
- Light & Sound
- Film & Video Editing
- Script Writing for Film & Television
Raindance Year 1 Courses:
- Saturday film school
- Filmmakers foundation certificate
- Directors foundation certificate
- Writers foundation certificate
- Technical foundation certificate
- Basic cinematography
- Hands on directing 1
- Hands on directing 2
- Directing actors
- Movie Genre Foundation Certificate.
In the second year, students start to specialise in specific areas of filmmaking, developing their skills further and working in teams on industry-style projects.
HND – Year 2 Modules:
- Collaborative Project (Pearson-set)
- Personal Professional Development
- Advanced Film & Television Studies
- Marketing & Promotion
- Audio Techiniques
Raindance – Year 2 Courses:
- Producers foundation certificate
- Documentary foundation certificate
- Comedy intensive with Steve Kaplan
- Lo-To-No budget filmmaking with Elliot Grove
- Saturday VR film school
- Create and market your web series
- Script analysis for directors
- The short film project
- Write and sell the Hot script
- Pitching Skills Workshop.
* Units can be subject to change.
How is the course assessed?
Units are interlinked to replicate “real world” scenarios and offer the opportunity for students to build a range of skills to maximise employment opportunities.
Where next - further studies
Where next - job opportunites
Do I need anything else before I start?
We recommend you have a laptop computer that meets the requirements to run the Adobe Creative Suite although we do have fully equipped computer labs. If you are unsure of the specification of computer you require, come and talk to us before making your purchase.
How do I apply?
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.
Register Your Interest
Sign up here if you are interested in the HND and we’ll get in touch.
Length: 2 years
Start Date: Monday January 11th 2021