VRX Submission Guidelines
We invite you to submit your 360 film or Virtual Reality experience this year. At Raindance, we aim to champion and award extraordinary VR experiences and help new voices and pioneering creators to be discovered.
Announced in May 2017, the new Raindance VRX Awards will celebrate pioneering VR experiences by independent creators from around the world. The winners in 10 categories will be announced at the 25th Raindance Film Festival.
Raindance VRX Awards categories
- Best Interactive Narrative Experience
- Best Mobile Interactive Experience
- Best Cinematic Narrative Experience
- Best Documentary Experience
- Best Music Experience
- Best Animation Experience
- Best Branded Experience
- Best Sensual Experience
- Best Social Impact Experience
- Best Sound Design Experience
How to submit
Submissions to the festival are now closed.
To upload a 360 video file
If you’re uploading a 360 video type of experience, upload a YouTube link to it. Maximum length of submission for a 360 video is 25 minutes.
Create a 360-enabled file with an app:
- Download 360 Video Metadata for Mac or Windows
- Install the app
- Select the video file
- Select the tick box for “Spherical” and click “Save as”.
- Name the video
- Save the file (a new file will be created automatically in the same location as the original)
- Upload the video to Youtube
- Wait for the 360-degree effect to process (this may take up to an hour)
For the best results, encode your video at a high resolution and according to YouTube’s advanced specifications. YouTube currently supports 360-degree videos with 24, 25, 30, 48, 50 or 60 frames per second. We recommend uploading 16:9 aspect ratio stitched videos in 4K (3840x2160) resolution.
To upload a VR experience which is not a 360 video (exe files)
Please provide a Dropbox or Google Drive link to your file (or an access code) in the ‘Overview’ section of your submission.
For questions or enquiries please contact
Mária Rakušanová, Director of VR and New Media at Raindance