1st Raindance Film Festival
Opening Night Film: Love And Human Remains
Closing Night Film: What’s Eating Gilbert Grape?
Country Featured: Canada
– First screening of a film with Leonardo di Caprio. What’s Eating Gilbert Grape? with Johnny Depp. He was 14.
– Producer Roger Frappier arrives from Montreal with the print of Love and Human Remains under his arm twenty minutes before the sold-out screening (it takes 45 minutes to prepare a print for screening)
– Hengameh Panahi and partner from the newly formed Celluloid Dreams arrive from Paris so broke they are homeless until housed by one of the people attending the festival. Celluloid Dreams is now one of the largest sales agents in Europe.
– The World Premiere of Orson Welles’ Don Quixote is a full-house. Unfortunately reel three is upside down causing a thirty minute delay half way through the film.
– The inaugural Live!Ammunition! pitching event is attended by forty people. The event is to become a byword for fun, entertainment and deals.