CREATE AND MARKET YOUR WEB SERIES
Week 1: Introduction to Web Series
May 31, 2017
- Idea generation
- Thinking about audience BEFORE you develop the creative
- Breaking down the elements of a successful series
- Style, tone, genre, comedy, drama – what kind of series attract audiences?
- Web series defined by its platform YouTube vs. Vimeo
- Advantages of the medium: creative control, in charge of your own release, develop and maintain your own community, self-defined success
- Disadvantages of the medium: minimal production resources, restraining creative, access to talent, introduction to basic FUNDING
- Define parameters of your success (what do you want from this show)
Week 2: Developing a Web Series
June 7, 2017
- Developing a treatment / bible
- Episode/Season Length
- Scripts / Outlines
- Writing for short form and long form
- Pitch packages
- Create production plan outline based on resources
- Create development strategy for your series
BREAK: No class on June 14, 2017
Week 3: Funding and Producing a Web Series
June 21, 2017
- Pulling the trigger and making the series
- Budgeting Basics
- Financing Basics
- Production Basics
- Post-Production Basics
- Foreign Markets
Week 4: Marketing and Distributing a Web Series
June 28, 2017
- What’s in your business plan
- Targeting your audience
- Release Basics
- Delivery platforms
- Online Networks
- Outline for engagement & community building
- Supplemental material & community rewards
- Marketing Plan
- Social Media
View/download Pre-Class and Post-Class Assignments: Create and Market Web Series – Course Syllabus.
WHO IS IT FOR?
Film & TV writers, producers, directors and actors, who want to create and market their own work on the digital arena.
TINA CESA WARD
Tina Cesa Ward is an award-winning web series creator with many web series under her belt. She jumped into the web world in 2008 and for three seasons Tina was the Executive Producer/Writer/Director of Anyone But Me, one of the most beloved independent scripted dramas on the web. Anyone But Me has reached over 40 million views and has brought home nearly ever industry award, highlighted by Tina (along with Susan Miller) winning the first ever Writers Guild of America Award for Original New Media. In 2012 Tina (along with Susan Miller) took home the International Academy of Web TV award for writing in a drama. Tina has been nominated several times for her directing as well, and in 2013 won the International Academy of Web TV Award for Best Directing in a Drama. Other nomination highlights include Webby and Streamy Award nominations.
In 2010 Tina directed the successful first season of the branded web series Bestsellers. A year later Tina debuted the critically acclaimed Good People in Love, which DIGIDAY calls “…a new milestone for online video series.” Tina also took home a Rome Web Award in 2014 for Best Dialogues for the series. In the fall of 2013, Producing Juliet, Tina’s newest series made its world premiere at Raindance Film Festival’s London WebFest where it received a stand out notice from The Huffington Post. Producing Juliet has gathered its own share of award nominations, including 2014 and 2015 Indie Series Award nominations for Tina’s direction and writing. In 2015 Tina won the International Academy of Web TV Award for Best Writing (Drama.) And in March 2016, Tina was elected Chair of the International Academy of Web TV.
ONLINE | VOD ATTENDANCE
Do you want attend the first class in person and online on other weeks? Or, do you want to attend online on some weeks and watch other weeks on VOD? You have the freedom to attend this course in person, online, or by watching it on VOD without making any prior selection.
LIVE ONLINE: Every attendee gets an email invitation for the online classroom 30 minutes before class start times. All you need to do is to click the link provided in that email and watch the class on your computer’s web browser without needing to download any special software. If you are attending on your smart phone or tablet, check out our full Online Courses FAQ.
VOD: Video on Demand is a great option if you want to repeat what you learned in the class or you didn’t have time to attend the class in person or online. Each attendee gets a Vimeo link 24-48 hours after each week’s class.