At A Glance
- Welcome to Raindance Lockdown Sessions
- Enjoy professional film education wherever you are
- An hour of short sharp advice from a leading professional
They say never work with children… But is that realistic in our industry? There will come a time when you cannot avoid casting a child in your film (and they can be great fun to work with!)
This session will cover
In this Taster session, Romana Carén Lakinger-Njari will cover the three important pillars for successfully collaborating with children:
What you need to know about children:
– what is the difference between working with a child and a grown up actor?
– what do you need to know about the needs of a child (depending on their age)
– the role of the parent(s)
Rehearsing and directing children:
– games and exercises that break the ice
– guiding emotion
– working with text
– maintaining the child’s energy through multiple takes
– taking out the pressure even under pressure
– child working license
– child working regulations
– child protection
– risk assessment and child protection safeguarding framework
About the speaker
Romana Carén Lakinger-Njari is a filmmaker, actress and vocal coach from Vienna, Austria. She graduated from the Raindance Postgraduate Degree in 2016.
Romana has been working in theatre, film and TV since the age of eight. Romana was trained as an actress at Actors Studio Pallas in Vienna and the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) in London. In 2003 Romana was Austria´s first certified Speech-Level-Singing instructor and has been teaching singers and actors of all levels at Acting Academy Elfriede Ott as well as her own studio.
As a filmmaker her main focus is on writing and directing short and feature films, TV and web series. Romana has developed two feature film screenplays for Berlin based production company Bad Motel Movies. Further, she has collaborated with them as a creative consultant for their feature film Big City Lights.
Currently Romana is working on her first feature film There Are No Kangaroos In Austria collaborating with production companies in Scotland and Austria and has been producing and hosting her own cooking show Peace, Joy & Eggcake for Austrian broadcaster OKTO since 2015.
Further, Romana is currently developing a TV series about Austrian journalist and politician Adelheid Popp, Die Frau (The Woman).