At A Glance
- Welcome to Raindance Lockdown Sessions
- Enjoy professional film education wherever you are
- An hour of short sharp advice from a leading professional
What you’ll learn:
- The principles of comedy: why are things funnier in threes? Really, why? I mean, why?
- The relationship between comedy and logic (spoiler alert: they are bitter enemies)
- The calculations involved in timing: comedy cues and why withholding them is sometimes the best way to get a laugh.
- Why your body is hilarious
- The evil of punchlines, and how the mechanics of jokes -tension and resolution, pattern disruption, misdirection and surprise- provide a template for all humour.
About the Speaker
David Misch is a comic folksinger, stand-up comedian and screenwriter. His credits include the multiple Emmy nominated Mork & Mindy, the Emmy losing Duckman, the Emmy ignored Police Squad!, the Emmy engorged Saturday Night Live, and the Emmy ineligible The Muppets Take Manhattan. David has written Funny: The Book and A Beginner’s Guide To Corruption. He blogs for The Huffington Post, and his play Occupied is in development at the Skylight Theatre in Los Angeles. David has taught comedy at USC, musical satire at UCLA, and spoken about comedy at Oxford University, the Smithsonian Institute, University of Sydney (Australia), Yale, 92nd St. Y, Second City (Chicago), Actors Studio, New York Public Library, American Film Institute, San Diego Comedy Festival, the Grammy Museum (Los Angeles), Lucasfilm, Austin Film Festival, Midwest Popular Culture Association and VIEW Cinema Conference (Torino, Italy).