At A Glance
- Welcome to Raindance Lockdown Sessions
- Enjoy professional film education wherever you are
- An hour of short sharp advice from a leading professional
- Ask questions and get instant response
So you want to write a film? A TV show? A book? Anything? That’s great. Off you go. Wait. Do you know where the story’s going? How it ends? How it even starts?
In this information packed hour learn how to create an idea, develop characters and place them into scenes, building up a house of index cards guaranteed not to fall. You’ll discuss plot structure and narrative drive, destroy traditional plot breaks, vandalise turning points and watch Raymond Chandler enter the room with a gun!
Who is the session for?
Anyone wishing to advance their writing skillset, especially in longform media, and create believable plot reversals and twists.
What you will learn?
- The basics of plot structure, and when turning points and instigating moments should be used
- How twists can become tropes – and how to avoid this
- The narrative drive of a script and how to follow it
- Aristotle, his seven basic plots and why there’s more to it than history
- Why your story is always two stories – whether you like it or not
About presenter Tony Lee
A #1 New York Times Bestseller and Eagle Award winning graphic novelist and screenwriter, with licenses under his belt including Doctor Who, Star Trek, Superboy, 2000AD, Spider-Man, X-Men, Battlestar Galactica, Shrek, Wallace and Gromit, Megadeth and Ozzy Osbourne, Tony also works in television, film and audio where he has written for BBC One and Amazon UK / Audible among others, working with both US and UK producers and studios as a go-to ’script doctor’.
With thirty three years experience as a professional writer, Tony has created stories in pretty much every medium to date.
In 2010 he became a #1 New York Times Bestseller for his adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. In 2014 his Doctor Who / Star Trek Graphic Novel ‘Assimilation Squared’ reached #2.
Tony teaches Graphic Novel writing classes at Raindance.