At a glance
- Learn the fundamentals of documentary filmmaking
- Learn how to make the skills transferrable between passion projects and paid corporate work
What you will Learn:
Post-Production – the most daunting of tasks
This is where your documentary is made/discovered/fixed but where do you start? How do you wrestle hours and hours of footage into the perfect film? In this class we will look at:
- Planning your workflow
- Narrative structure and finding your story
- Representation of your interviewees
- Making tough decisions
- Narrators – The voice of God
- Animation and motion graphics and how they can facilitate story
- Guiding the audience with score and sound design
- Fresh eyes and feedback
Who should attend
This course is for anyone interested in making documentary style films. Whether you are a complete novice who is interested in getting started or whether you are an experienced videographer who wants to take the next step.
About your instructor
Tom Webb started making short films in his early teens and his love of filmmaking continued in his career.
Tom started his filmmaking life re-editing American TV shows for broadcast on the Discovery Channel in the UK and filming Martial Arts and Professional Wrestling
He then went on to be Head of Creative at Upbeat, a digital agency that covers video production and web development. Whilst there Tom filmed and edited everything from press junkets to film premieres, medical videos to corporate events, A-list movie stars to random people in the street.
Alongside this Tom has also co hosted the Have You Seen..? Podcast, made award winning short films, short form documentaries and a feature length documentary about the male perspective of fertility treatment called The Easy Bit which premiered at Raindance in 2019. It was reviewed in The Hollywood Reporter.