At a glance
- Learn the fundamentals of documentary filmmaking
- Learn how to make the skills transferrable between passion projects and paid corporate work
What you will Learn:
Passion and/or/vs profit for Documentaries
Most people aren’t lucky enough to earn good money on projects they love all the time so how do you balance passion projects vs earning a living. How do you find the fun and excitement in the dullest of corporate jobs? In this lesson we will look at:
- One for the heart one for the condo
- You don’t have to understand the content
- Working with clients not for clients
- Applying existing skills to projects
- Taking pride in your work
- Pitch what they want AND something unexpected
- Passion projects and doing it for the love of it
- General discussion across the entire course
Who should attend
This course is for anyone interested in making documentary style films. Whether you are a complete novice who is interested in getting started or whether you are an experienced videographer who wants to take the next step.
About your instructor
Tom Webb started making short films in his early teens and his love of filmmaking continued in his career.
Tom started his filmmaking life re-editing American TV shows for broadcast on the Discovery Channel in the UK and filming Martial Arts and Professional Wrestling
He then went on to be Head of Creative at Upbeat, a digital agency that covers video production and web development. Whilst there Tom filmed and edited everything from press junkets to film premieres, medical videos to corporate events, A-list movie stars to random people in the street.
Alongside this Tom has also co hosted the Have You Seen..? Podcast, made award winning short films, short form documentaries and a feature length documentary about the male perspective of fertility treatment called The Easy Bit which premiered at Raindance in 2019. It was reviewed in The Hollywood Reporter.