The Art & Craft of Horror
Horror has consistently been one of the most profitable and successful movie genres of all time, and many emerging filmmakers feel it’s a good genre to cut their teeth on — especially as a genre to write for micro-budget. But what makes a horror screenplay work? And how do you create the next great horror hit?
This one-evening course is part of the Mastering Genre series. Tutor Randall C. Willis provides an overview of genre and helps you understand the conventions and tropes of specific genre storytelling. Whether you stick to the conventions or bend them, your ability to write a horror screenplay that sells requires a deep understanding of the style and structure of the genre as a foundation to make your script exceptional.
This evening class is available separately or as part of the Mastering Genre Workshop Series.
Who should attend:
Filmmakers and writers who want to learn about a specific story trope that can assist in the route to a script sale will benefit form the specific tools outlined in this course. It is also recommended for film enthusiasts who better want to understand the story beats in a horror story, be it for film or book;
What you’ll learn:
Whether your passion is to create an award-winning short film, the next viral web series or feature screen gem, this master class will help provide a road map for your script.
- Explain and demystify what “genre” is and what exactly makes a story “genre?”
- Defining the horror genre and its many sub-genres
- Structural and story conventions of horror genre scripts
- Style and thematic conventions of horror genre scripts
- How and where to bend and play with these conventions in the script
- How understanding “genre” can enable you to improve not just your storytelling but your chances for success
About the instructor, Randall C Willis
Did you know?
- Raindance is Europe’s largest independent film festival
- This class is free for Raindance Higher Education students – book a free 1-1 tutorial Here
- Raindance members get a 20% discount on this class. Join HERE and start saving today.
- Raindance does not teach filmmaking. Raindance makes filmmakers.
The Raindance Guarantee
- If you find that this class does not meet your needs, or if you think it was overhyped, please let us know for a no-questions-asked 100% refund.