Launch Your Directing Career!
About the Course
In a no-nonsense, intensive weekend course, director Simon Hunter charts the path you need to take from a nobody to a working film director.
Starting with shooting your first short films, Simon guides you through the process of writing, producing and directing your first feature film, from storyboard to script, camera placement to editing, festivals to agents.
What will I get?
Using a mix of lecture-style teaching, discussion and personal experience, Simon Hunter will teach you:
- The Big Picture – Making a plan for your career as a director
- Shaking The Blues – Getting the confidence you need
- Making Short Films – How much? How long? How so?
- Kit Me Out! – Picking cameras, lens and formats that work for you
- Thinking Creatively – The idea, and how to inspire others and yourself
- Thinking Practically – What will sell; What will attract investors; What will people watch
- The Big Step – Planning your first feature
- CASH! – How much do you need, where to get it and how to spend it
- Directing – What you need to know and what you don’t need to know
- Key Grips…Key Everybody! – Picking the right crew for you
- Big Names, Small Movie – How to get names attached and how to rehearse
- Lights, Camera …errr…. – Directing on set and calling the shots!
- Discipline 007 – Keeping on budget, on time and on schedule.
- CUT! – How to edit your way to a good movie
- The Sound Of Music – How to find a composer and how to get a BIG sound
- Touring The World – Festivals; which ones and how to get your film accepted
- Secret Agents – How to get represented by a talent agency
What They Are Saying
Boosted my confidence and inspired me to go experiment 🙂
Wholly brilliant. A refreshingly honest and open discussion on making your first feature with an exceptional level of insight.
The amount of info I got in such a limited time was impressive. Highly recommending the course and Simon who did a brill job. Thanks very much and I will be back.
I’m a film student and was starting to panic that, although I have a good grounding in how to make films technically, I had no idea how to start being a filmmaker. After the first day of the course I knew what I needed to do, why I needed to do it and what to expect. After the second I had a clear path in kind as to how I would accomplish this. This course will have hopefully set me on the current path to my first feature film, and I’ll owe kudos to Simon Hunter and raindance!
About the tutor
Simon Hunter has directed over fifty tv commercials and two feature films. His directing debut was the horror movie LIGHTHOUSE in the year 2000 and he went on to direct the visual effects-laden sci-fi movie THE MUTANT CHRONICLES in 2008. Simon’s first feature, Lighthouse, was released theatrically in 2002. Simon subsequently became a much sort after commercials director before returning to features with Edward R Pressman’s Mutant Chronicles in the Summer of 2006. Simon flew to Qatar in 2014 to direct 20 episodes of a Scifi adventure series set in the desert. The filming takes place in Qatar, Jordan and India. In 2016 Simon directed his passion project, EDIE which tells the tale of an older lady who climbs a mountain in Scotland at the age of eighty-three. The film is due for completion in late 2016. Simon lives in the German capital, Berlin. Since 1999 he has regularly lectured for RAINDANCE and other organisations.[/author_info] [/author]