LAUNCH YOUR DIRECTING CAREER!
In a no-nonsense, intensive weekend course, director Simon Hunter charts the path you need to take from nobody to a working film director.
Starting with shooting your first short films, Simon guides you through the process of writing, producing and directing your first feature film, from storyboard to script, camera placement to editing, festivals to agents.
Using a mix of lecture-style teaching, discussion and personal experience, Simon Hunter will teach you:
Saturday, October 7
- The Big Picture – Making a plan for your career as a director
- Shaking The Blues – Getting the confidence you need
- Making Short Films – How much? How long? How so?
- Kit Me Out! – Picking cameras, lens and formats that work for you
- Thinking Creatively – The idea, and how to inspire others and yourself
- Thinking Practically – What will sell; What will attract investors; What will people watch
- The Big Step – Planning your first feature
- CASH! – How much do you need, where to get it and how to spend it
Sunday, October 8
- Directing – What you need to know and what you don’t need to know
- Key Grips…Key Everybody! – Picking the right crew for you
- Big Names, Small Movie – How to get names attached and how to rehearse
- Lights, Camera …errr…. – Directing on set and calling the shots!
- Discipline 007 – Keeping on budget, on time and on schedule.
- CUT! – How to edit your way to a good movie
- The Sound Of Music – How to find a composer and how to get a BIG sound
- Touring The World – Festivals; which ones and how to get your film accepted
- Secret Agents – How to get represented by a talent agency
WHAT ARE THEY SAYING?
Boosted my confidence and inspired me to go experiment 🙂
Brilliant!! A refreshingly honest and open discussion on making your first feature with an exceptional level of insight.
The amount of info I got in such a limited time was impressive. Highly recommending the course and Simon who did a great job. Thanks very much and I will be back.
Although I have a good grounding in how to make films technically, I had no idea how to start being a filmmaker. After the first day of the course I knew what I needed to do, why I needed to do it and what to expect. After the second I had a clear path in kind as to how I would accomplish this. This course will have hopefully set me on the current path to my first feature film, and I’ll owe kudos to Simon Hunter and Raindance!
Simon Hunter has directed over 50 TV commercials and 3 feature films. His directing debut was the horror movie LIGHTHOUSE, which was released theatrically in 2002 and he went on to direct the visual effects-laden sci-fi movie THE MUTANT CHRONICLES. Simon subsequently became a much sort after commercials director before returning to features with Edward R Pressman’s Mutant Chronicles in the Summer of 2006.
Simon flew to Qatar in 2014 to direct 20 episodes of a sci-fi adventure series set in the desert. The filming takes place in Qatar, Jordan and India. In 2016 Simon directed his passion project, EDIE which tells the tale of an older lady who climbs a mountain in Scotland at the age of eighty-three. The film is currently repped by United Talent Agency (UTA).
Simon has regularly lectured for Raindance London, Raindance Berlin, The European Film Institute, The How to Academy, The Independent Film workshop, The Wilderness Festival, BBC training London and Canon Cameras
ONLINE | VOD ATTENDANCE
Do you want attend the first class in person and online on other weeks? Or, do you want to attend online on some weeks and watch other weeks on VOD? You have the freedom to attend this course in person, online, or by watching it on VOD without making any prior selection.
LIVE ONLINE: Every attendee gets an email invitation for the online classroom 30 minutes before class start times. All you need to do is to click the link provided in that email and watch the class on your computer’s web browser without needing to download any special software. If you are attending on your smart phone or tablet, check out our full Online Courses FAQ.
VOD: Video on Demand is a great option if you want to repeat what you learned in the class or you didn’t have time to attend the class in person or online. Each attendee gets a Vimeo link 24-48 hours after each week’s class.