Launch Your Directing Career!
About the Course
In a no-nonsense, intensive weekend course, director Simon Hunter (whose new film EDIE has been awarded “Best in Fest” selection at the Edinburgh Film Festival) will guide you through the process of making your first feature film, from storyboard to writing or acquiring a script, camera placement to editing, financing to agents.
– Venue: KN Space for Art in Context, Skalitzer Str. 68, Berlin
– Course Language: English
– Prices: €195 Non-Members // €165.75 Raindance Members
(Membership is just €50/year)
What will I get?
This weekend course is suitable for both beginners and experienced filmmakers who want to begin work on a feature film and distribute it in the next year. Using a mix of lecture-style teaching, discussion and personal experience, Simon Hunter will teach you:
- The Big Picture – Making a plan for your career as a director
- Shaking The Blues – Getting the confidence you need
- Making Short Films – How much? How long? How so?
- Kit Me Out! – Picking cameras, lens and formats that work for you
- Thinking Creatively – The idea, and how to inspire others and yourself
- Thinking Practically – What will sell; What will attract investors; What will people watch
- The Big Step – Planning your first feature
- CASH! – How much do you need, where to get it and how to spend it
- Directing – What you need to know and what you don’t need to know
- Key Grips…Key Everybody! – Picking the right crew for you
- Big Names, Small Movie – How to get names attached and how to rehearse
- Lights, Camera… errr… – Directing on set and calling the shots!
- Discipline 007 – Keeping on budget, on time and on schedule.
- CUT! – How to edit your way to a good movie
- The Sound Of Music – How to find a composer and how to get a BIG sound
- Touring The World – Festivals; which ones and how to get your film accepted
- Secret Agents – How to get represented by a talent agency
What They Are Saying
Boosted my confidence and inspired me to go experiment 🙂
Wholly brilliant. A refreshingly honest and open discussion on making your first feature with an exceptional level of insight.
The amount of info I got in such a limited time was impressive. Highly recommending the course and Simon who did a brill job. Thanks very much and I will be back.
I’m a film student and was starting to panic that, although I have a good grounding in how to make films technically, I had no idea how to start being a filmmaker. After the first day of the course I knew what I needed to do, why I needed to do it and what to expect. After the second I had a clear path in kind as to how I would accomplish this. This course will have hopefully set me on the current path to my first feature film, and I’ll owe kudos to Simon Hunter and raindance!
I was happy to see that the course caters for all levels of experience, providing not only inspiration and motivation to go out there and do it but actual practical knowledge that comes with Simon’s years of industry experience. I would highly recommend it.”
About the tutor
Simon Hunter has directed over fifty TV commercials and three feature films. In 2016 Simon directed his passion project, EDIE which tells the tale of an older lady who climbs a mountain in Scotland at the age of eighty-three. The feature took the Edinburgh International Film Festival by storm – both screenings completely sold out within days and EDIE was subsequently awarded “Best in Fest” selection. The movie stars Sheila Hancock and Kevin Guthrie.
Simon’s directing debut was the horror movie LIGHTHOUSE which was released theatrically in 2002. He subsequently became a much sought after commercials director before returning to features with Edward R Pressman’s visual effects-laden, sci-fi movie THE MUTANT CHRONICLES in 2008. In 2014 Simon directed 20 episodes of a sci-fi adventure series set in the desert – the filming took place in Qatar, Jordan and India. Simon lives in the German capital, Berlin. Since 1999 he has regularly lectured for RAINDANCE and other organisations.