At a glance
- The perfect film class series designed to get you making films
- Meet fellow filmmakers and collaborate on the art of film
- Taught by professional filmmakers
Filmmaking involves countless steps and processes, starting with the initial development, financing and pre-production stage, leading onto the production and post-production, followed by seeking distribution for your finished work. But that’s just the very core of what it takes to create a film.
This theory-based course is designed to introduce you to the various areas and practices within the industry.
Through in-class practical showcases and group discussions, you will gain the necessary confidence and skills to understand what it takes to practise directing, screenwriting, cinematography and editing.
Who should take the course?
Whether you’re an aspiring filmmaker or simply a lover of cinema, this course will give you a better understanding of how the film industry works. This is an opportunity to learn about the various roles available, explore new career options, and most importantly network and ask questions!
What you’ll learn
You’ll develop an in-depth understanding of the process of the industry, from the studio system to independent filmmaking. You’ll also see the importance of teamwork and roles on set, how to brainstorm an idea into a script and how to think outside the box for storytelling.
Week 1: Welcome to Filmmaking
An introduction to filmmaking means understanding the history of cinema. This session covers the origins of film and tracks its history from the first cinema to the advancement of present day technologies.
- History of entertainment
- The birth of cinema
- Early technology in film
- Various film formats
- Influence of society
- Introduction to film editing
- Film vs. digital
- From talkies, to colour film, to 3D cinema
- Types of media
- How is a film made?
- Three steps: pre-production, production and post-production
- Fourth step: distribution
Week 2: Pre-Production
This session covers the introduction to fully understanding the beginning stages of making a film. From the early stages of idea and script development to set hierarchy and roles, you’ll begin to learn the importance of organisation, budgeting and ensuring that preparation is vital in the success of making a film.
- Idea and conceptualisation
- Writing a story – 12 Steps of Hero’s Journey
- Dialogue that works
- Adaptation – The 3 Act Structure
- Finding crew members
- Working with a full/zero budget
- Understanding mood
- Location scouting
- Production design and art direction
- Prepping a shoot day
- Camera shot lists/breakdowns
- Call sheets and scheduling
- Table reads
Week 3: Production
This session covers everything you need to know about cameras, sound recording equipment and lighting on a production.
- Multiple formats of footage
- RAW vs. compressed
- The crew relationship
- Directing the camera
- Thinking cinematically
- Light as expression
- Working a scene
- Audio on set
- Contracts and NDAs
- DIT and essential on set crew
Week 4: Post-Production
Post-production can make or break a film. This session looks at arguably the most important stage of filmmaking to understand everything about editing and audio theories, and applying those theories while experiencing a demonstration edit in class. The session will end on the final stages of what happens when the film is finished and ready for distribution and the festival circuit.
- Post-production process
- Ingesting and organising
- Editing styles
- The director/editor relationship
- Rules of editing
- Continuity in film editing
- Audio and colour practices in post-production
- Picture lock
- Multiple export formats
- Film festival run
- Online distribution
- The film community
- Prepping your first shoot
Did you know?
- Raindance members save 20% on this course? You can join online >HERE< and start saving immediately
- This course is FREE for our HND students
- Raindance doesn’t teach screenwriting. Raindance makes screenwriters.
- The Raindance Guarantee: If this course fails to meet your expectations, let us know at the break and we will make a full, 100% no-questions-asked refund
*Final course cost is subject to currency conversion rate at the time of purchase.
Raindance Makes Filmmakers
Ask a question about film school at Raindance Dubai