About the Filmmaker’s Foundation Certificate
The filmmaking process, all in all, is made up of countless different steps and processes. Starting with development, financing, pre-production, production and post-production, distribution to name just a few. On the Filmmaker’s Foundation Certificate Learn the fundamental skills and knowledge essential to making films – from the screenplay to the screen.
The five-week Tuesday evening course is designed to provide new filmmakers with the skills and knowledge required to tackle their first short or feature film and launch their filmmaking career. The course covers: writing for low-budget films, making movies with no money, the basics of film directing, and breaking into the film industry.
What you will learn on the Filmmakers Foundation Certificate
Week 1: Writing for Low Budget Films
How to get the most out of your script, locations and actors and also ensure these elements are in line with a low budget. Students will develop the tools to turn a script into a unique and saleable story.
With Elliot Grove
- Writing for low budget films
- Creating characters that grab the audience’s attention
- Essentials of screen dialogue
- Story structure explained
Week 2: Essentials of Lo-to-No Budget Filmmaking
Making films can be very expensive but debut films are usually made on minuscule budgets. A successful filmmaker can make the ordinary seem extraordinary and offer exceptional production values.
With Elliot Grove
- Finding and securing locations on a budget
- Low-budget shooting tips
- Working with crew and actors with little money
- Negotiations and communication skills
Week 3: Director’s Toolkit
The relationship between the actor, cinematographer and director is the most important relationship on a film set. New directors need to learn to communicate their vision to their cast and crew in order to get the best results on screen.
- Finding a cast
- Using and maximising the rehearsal process
- On-set protocol
- Basics of camera placement and shooting
Week 4: The Director’s Role
There are now more low-cost, high-quality editing suites and cameras available than ever before. Learn how to choose the right equipment and maximise its potential for the edit of your movie.
- Basics of the picture and image capture equipment
- Introduction to digital video equipment
- Working with sound
- Limitations and benefits of desktop editing
Week 5: Breaking Into The Film Industry
If you really want to work in the film industry as a writer, director or producer, then your chances of success will succeed if you make a plan of attack.
With Elliot Grove
- Creating a showreel
- Presenting yourself: CV’s and query letters
- How to break in as a writer, director or producer
- Getting jobs in film crews: sound, camera, art department, post-production etc.
* Take this class on it’s own – book online here
What will you achieve?
On completion of the Filmmaker’s Foundation Certificate, students will have acquired the skills, knowledge and confidence to then undertake their first short or feature film, or find work on a film set.
How will you be taught?
A mix of lecture-style and demonstration. In addition, there will also be some further reading and additional activities suggested.
Each week will include a simple homework assignment designed to reenforce the learning of each of the week’s classes. Upon completion all participants will receive a Filmmaker’s Foundation Certificate suitable for framing.
Who should attend?
The Filmmaker’s Foundation Certificate is suitable for beginner filmmakers, as well as those interested in finding out more about the filmmaking process. It is also suitable for those seeking to refresh or expand their existing knowledge.
What they’re saying
I loved hearing about simple techniques to make shoestring budget films look professional. The tutors had humorous anecdotes about their own experiences starting out making films. Also, he practical exercises were challenging and fun.
The teachers were passionate, knowledgeable and informative. I just sat their glued to what they were saying, soaking it all up. On the whole, the experience totally rocked!
Did you know?
- Raindance members save 20% on this course? You can join online >HERE< and start saving immediately
- This course is FREE for our HND and postgraduate/MA/ students
- The Raindance Guarantee: If this course fails to meet your expectations, let us know at the break and we will make a full, 100% no-questions-asked refund
- We don’t teach ‘filmmaking’ at Raindance. At Raindance we make filmmakers.