At a glance
- The perfect film class series designed to teach you editing
- Meet fellow filmmakers and collaborate editing techniques
- Taught by professional filmmakers
Film editors are masters of the “invisible art”. The ultimate goal of film editing is to capture a director’s vision and craft a seamless product. This post-production process ensures the story comes together in a coherent and compelling way. Their work leaves elusive traces only film enthusiasts and experts can pick up. Yet, this is one of the roles presiding over the whole creative process, alongside directors and cinematographers.
What it will cover
Film Editing Foundation certificate is useful for those who already have a strong understanding of Filmmaking. This course works as directors, producers, cinematographers, or actors. A solid understanding of editing is critical for the pursuit of a career in filmmaking.
Film Editing Theory
- Rules & Theories of Film Editing
- Analysis of an Edit
- Understanding the role of a Director & Editor
Introduction to Non-Linear Editing Platforms
- Introduction to non-linear editing using Adobe Premiere
- How to be organized as an Editor
- Short Film Editing vs Feature Film Editing
Story Pacing and Structure
- Tricks to convey time and emotion
- Rhythmic edit
- J & L Cuts
Editing the Performance
- Cutting the actors performance
- Understanding how dialogue is important
- Playing with sound
- Screening the edit
First and Final Drafts
- Feedback and Critique
- Final delivery
- Importance of Color and Motion
- DCP and festivals
What will you achieve?
Students will work through various editing processes using industry-standard tools and best practice.
How will you be taught?
A mix of lecture-style, demonstration, and also practical instruction with tutor guidance.
Who should attend?
This course is suitable for those who wish to edit any form of film, from short to feature. Theory of television commercial, music video, social media content is taught as well.