Launch Your Directing Career!
About the Course
Raindance’s world-renowned film training courses are industry-focused to equip you with the practical knowledge you need to succeed as a working filmmaker. Don’t miss out on the chance to learn everything you need to know about the creative and commercial sides of making and distributing your first low-budget feature. In a no-nonsense, intensive weekend course, director Simon Hunter (whose film EDIE has been distributed throughout the UK and US, and will be released in Germany in May 2019) will guide you through the process of making your first low-budget feature film and cover everything from financing to shooting to distribution.
– Venue: Facciola, Forsterstr. 5, 10999 Berlin
– Course Language: English
– Regular Prices: €195 Non-Members // €165.75 Raindance Members
Full payment must be received by noon on 3rd May in order to secure your spot.
What will I get?
This weekend course is suitable for both beginners and experienced filmmakers who want to begin work on a feature film and distribute it in the next year. Using a mix of lecture-style teaching, discussion and personal experience, Simon Hunter will teach you:
- The Big Picture – Making a plan for your career as a director
- Shaking The Blues – Getting the confidence you need
- Making Short Films – How much? How long? How so?
- Kit Me Out! – Picking cameras, lens and formats that work for you
- Thinking Creatively – The idea, and how to inspire others and yourself
- Thinking Practically – What will sell; What will attract investors; What will people watch
- The Big Step – Planning your first feature
- CASH! – How much do you need, where to get it and how to spend it
- Directing – What you need to know and what you don’t need to know
- Key Grips…Key Everybody! – Picking the right crew for you
- Big Names, Small Movie – How to get names attached and how to rehearse
- Lights, Camera, Action.. – Directing on set and calling the shots!
- Discipline 007 – Keeping on budget, on time and on schedule
- CUT! – How to edit your way to a good movie
- The Sound Of Music – How to find a composer and how to get a BIG sound
- Touring The World – Festivals; which ones and how to get your film accepted
- Secret Agents – How to get represented by a talent agency
What is so special about this directing course?
Simon Hunter is a filmmaker who can teach. He has directed three features that have had theatrical release, including Edie, which premiered at Raindance 2017 and secured distribution in the UK, US and Germany. He has directed over 150 commercials. There simply aren’t any other film directing courses presented by a filmmaker with this level of current experience.
Simon’s latest film, EDIE starring the iconic British actress Sheila Hancock has enjoyed a five+ week theatrical release. Rarely does one get a chance to learn from someone who has a movie that has received such acclaim. In addition to the creative side of directing, few are better to explain the commercial side as well. Don’t miss this chance to study with a master.
What are the students saying?
I was happy to see that the course caters for all levels of experience, providing not only inspiration and motivation to go out there and do it but actual practical knowledge that comes with Simon’s years of industry experience. I would highly recommend it.”
Boosted my confidence and inspired me to go experiment 🙂
Wholly brilliant. A refreshingly honest and open discussion on making your first feature with an exceptional level of insight.
The amount of info I got in such a limited time was impressive. Highly recommending the course and Simon who did a brill job. Thanks very much and I will be back.
I’m a film student and was starting to panic that, although I have a good grounding in how to make films technically, I had no idea how to start being a filmmaker. After the first day of the course I knew what I needed to do, why I needed to do it and what to expect. After the second I had a clear path in kind as to how I would accomplish this. This course will have hopefully set me on the current path to my first feature film, and I’ll owe kudos to Simon Hunter and Raindance!
About the tutor
Simon Hunter has directed over 150 TV commercials and three feature films that have had theatrical release, including Edie, which premiered at Raindance 2017 and secured distribution in the UK, US and Germany. Rarely does one get a chance to learn from someone who has a movie that has received such acclaim.
Simon’s directing debut was the horror movie LIGHTHOUSE which was released theatrically in 2002. He subsequently became a much sought after commercials director before returning to features with Edward R Pressman’s visual effects-laden, sci-fi movie THE MUTANT CHRONICLES in 2008. In 2014 Simon directed 20 episodes of a sci-fi adventure series set in the desert – the filming took place in Qatar, Jordan and India. Simon lives in the German capital, Berlin. Since 1999 he has regularly lectured for RAINDANCE and other organisations. In addition to the creative side of directing, few are better to explain the commercial side as well. Don’t miss this chance to study with a master.