Learn the theory and practice of cinematography in one intensive weekend!
The Raindance Cinematography Foundation Certificate is an intensive two-day course that demystifies much of the practical world of cinematography. As a participant you’ill learn the key lighting techniques that are the bread and butter of every working cinematographer. You’ll also get hands-on experience with some of the world’s best and most relied-upon digital cinema cameras.
Fuelled by the experience and energy of instructor Dale Sood, and hosted by Inspired Image Picture Company, this course provides basic technical theory and practical hands-on learning. Discussion and role play will guide participants through this intensive weekend workshop.
Who should take this course?
Filmmakers, directors, producers, screenwriters, aspiring cinematographers or anyone wanting to learn the language of cinematography and understand how to light and frame shots for the screen. Anyone who wishes to demystify the technical aspects of shooting.
This is a dream course for self-taught indie filmmakers working in factual/documentary, narrative film or corporate video who are interested in learning the language of cinematography and simple camera and lighting set up. The course is especially helpful for film directors to learn how to communicate with cinematographers to convey cinematic vision and translate it technically onto the screen. Film producers will gain practical knowledge in order to better understand the artistic and technical considerations of directors and their DOPs.
You’ll learn how to:
- make your images look better and more cinematic
- communicate more effectively with your cinematographer while on your own film project
- create a solid foundation on which to begin building your skills and career as a cinematographer
- handle and demystify the ‘big’ professional cameras — how to use them, what they are best at in order to understand which one suits your visual requirements and budget.
You’ll come away from the weekend seeing light & composition very differently from how you see it today. You’ll also learn how cinema cameras are much more simple and much less intimidating than most people believe. With your new perspective on cinematography, you’ll be able to immediately put into practice what you’ve learned on your own film or video projects.
Prior to the course you’ll receive handouts with theory & the language of cinematography to prepare for the weekend: Image attributes; framing for composition; lighting; creating the look; designing the shot; where to start with a director’s vision.
Day 1: Saturday 10 am – 6 pm*
Explore camera and lighting, basic framing and composition —
- Discussion and demonstration of the basic language of cinematography
- Lighting and Composition: Practical Application
- Group Work: students will stage, block, light and shoot several scenarios under Dale’s supervision.
* Refreshments & lunch will be provided
Day 2: Sunday 9 am – 6 pm*
Learn the key creative roles of director and cinematographer, how they work together on set, and how a director can best communicate his/her cinematic vision to translate technically onto the screen —
- Discussion about the role and interplay between director and cinematographer
- Role play discussing a vision and working through a scene set up
- Group Work including the construction, blocking, lighting, recording and review of several scenes. Each student will have the opportunity to direct and shoot their own scene.
* Refreshments & lunch will be provided
Hands-on access to equipment, refreshments and lunch is included in this course price.
What you’ll need to bring:
- note-taking materials
- your downloaded reading materials
- your own camera if you wish (not mandatory) and the accompanying cards and cables
(Wear comfortable clothing!)
What they’re saying about the Cinematography Foundation Certificate course…
“I had a terrific time at Raindance’s Cinematography course. I have to say I was completely blown away. My intention was to gain more confidence around the language of cameras and lighting but what I got in return was so much more. No matter what your experience level, this workshop was an ideal setting to learn, improve and hone both camera and lighting skills. Plus it’s not every day you get to work in a fully stocked production rental warehouse! Thank you Raindance for this invaluable experience!!” – Amelia W., TV Field Producer
“I learnt so much. The material is presented in a very easy to understand format. Also, you get many hands on experiences.” – Anne T.
“I learned a lot of very useful information and I benefited from the day. I felt comfortable enough to apply my knowledge on day 2 with enough confidence so that my creative side could take over and the technical became second nature. The instructor has a wealth of information!” – Henrieta H., Photographer
About the Instructor
Dale Sood, CSC, is an award-winning director & cinematographer. His films have been screened globally, including the HotDocs Film Festival here in Toronto. He currently produces all the digital video content for Vistek, Canada’s largest photo & video retailer. He also continues to work as a commercial and narrative cinematographer.
We gratefully acknowledge our community partner