Launch Your Film Directing Career!
About the Course
In a no-nonsense, intensive film directing career weekend masterclass, director Simon Hunter charts the path you need to take from a nobody to a working film director.
Starting with shooting your first short films, Simon guides you through the process of writing, producing and directing your first feature film, from storyboard to script, camera placement to editing, festivals to agents.
What is so special about this film directing course?
Simon Hunter is a filmmaker who can teach. He has directed three features that have had theatrical release, including Edie, which premiered at Raindance 2017 and received a wide UK release in May 2018. He has directed over 150 commercials. There simply aren’t any other film directing courses presented by a filmmaker with this level of current experience.
Simon’s latest film, EDIE starring the iconic British actress Sheila Hancock has enjoyed a five + week theatrical release. Rarely does one get a chance to learn from someone who has a movie that has received such acclaim. In addition to the creative side of directing, few are better to explain the commercial side as well. Don’t miss this chance to study with a master.
What will I get?
Using a mix of lecture-style teaching, discussion and personal experience, Simon Hunter will teach you:
- The Big Picture – Making a plan for your career as a director
- Shaking The Blues – Getting the confidence you need
- Making Short Films – How much? How long? How so?
- Kit Me Out! – Picking cameras, lens and formats that work for you
- Thinking Creatively – The idea, and how to inspire others and yourself
- Thinking Practically – What will sell; What will attract investors; What will people watch
- The Big Step – Planning your first feature
- CASH! – How much do you need, where to get it and how to spend it
- Directing – What you need to know and what you don’t need to know
- Key Grips…Key Everybody! – Picking the right crew for you
- Big Names, Small Movie – How to get names attached and how to rehearse
- Lights, Camera …errr…. – Directing on set and calling the shots!
- Discipline 007 – Keeping on budget, on time and on schedule.
- CUT! – How to edit your way to a good movie
- The Sound Of Music – How to find a composer and how to get a BIG sound
- Touring The World – Festivals; which ones and how to get your film accepted
- Secret Agents – How to get represented by a talent agency
What They Are Saying
Boosted my confidence and inspired me to go experiment 🙂
Wholly brilliant. A refreshingly honest and open discussion on making your first feature with an exceptional level of insight.
The amount of info I got in such a limited time was impressive. Highly recommending the course and Simon who did a brill job. Thanks very much and I will be back.
I’m a film student and was starting to panic that, although I have a good grounding in how to make films technically, I had no idea how to start being a filmmaker. After the first day of the course I knew what I needed to do, why I needed to do it and what to expect. After the second I had a clear path in kind as to how I would accomplish this. This course will have hopefully set me on the current path to my first feature film, and I’ll owe kudos to Simon Hunter and raindance!
About the tutor
Simon Hunter has directed over fifty tv commercials and three feature films. His directing debut was the horror movie LIGHTHOUSE in the year 2000 and he went on to direct the visual effects-laden sci-fi movie THE MUTANT CHRONICLES in 2008.
Simon’s first feature, Lighthouse, was released theatrically in 2002. Simon subsequently became a much sort after commercials director before returning to features with Edward R Pressman’s Mutant Chronicles in the Summer of 2006.
Simon flew to Qatar in 2014 to direct 20 episodes of a Scifi adventure series set in the desert. The filming takes place in Qatar, Jordan and India.
In 2017 Simon directed his passion project, EDIE which tells the tale of an older lady who climbs a mountain in Scotland at the age of eighty-three. The film has had an enthusiastic and successful theatrical release in the UK and has sold to multiple territories. You can find EDIE cinema tickets here,
Simon lives in the German capital, Berlin. Since 1999 he has regularly lectured for RAINDANCE and other organisations.