Acting for Non-Actors
Historically, most great directors and screenwriters have had more than a semblance of an idea of how acting works. Case in point: Elia Kazan,Tennessee Williams, Edward Albee, Sidney Lumet, Clifford Odets.
Here is your opportunity to understand how the actor ticks with film actor and master acting teacher Alan C. Peterson.
“When you most succeed, you do so by seeming not to act at all.”
~ Stella Adler
The best way to learn is to dive right in!
Having studied with the great American acting teacher, Stella Adler, as well as Lee Strasberg’s pre-eminent protégé Kim Stanley, considered one of the great actresses of the 20th century, Alan is a passionate teacher who provides an interactive and supportive atmosphere in which to explore.
Learn the technique taught at the world-famous Actors Studio in New York City, which produced the likes of Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall, Al Pacino, Ellen Burstyn, Robert DeNiro, James Dean and Faye Dunaway, among many other greats.
Who should take this course?
- Non-actors preparing to act in their own micro-budget films and web series
- Actors who’d like to deepen their practice
- Indeed, anyone interested in and curious about the actor’s process — all welcome!
What you’ll learn:
- Introduction to the basic tenets of virtuosic, realistic, believable acting: relaxation; physical and psychological, emotional freedom.
- Greater mastery of the above, adding to it script analysis, how it applies to acting and the mise en scene; the spine of the script.
- Building a character as well as continued work from the week before.
This is a life-changing class and is of inestimable value for filmmakers and film lovers alike.
About the Instructor, Alan C. Peterson
Alan C. Peterson is an internationally-known film and television character actor, and producer, who has performed in projects throughout Europe, Canada and the United States. He recently joined the cast of the new X FILES for its second season.
Peterson co-stars with Cheech Marin in the feature film DARK HARVEST, which he helped produce and develop. Released in January 2018, Peterson recently won the Best Actor Award for this feature at the Canna-Bus Film Festival in Oklahoma. A partial listing of Peterson’s hundreds of credits in film and television can be found on his IMDb listing. Recent credits include AMERICAN GODS, FRONTIER, THE STAKELANDER, and MOLLY’S GAME with Jessica Chastain.
Peterson helped develop and co-directed the acting program at the Vancouver Film School from 1992-1996 and currently teaches in Toronto. As an educator, Peterson brings the authentic, realistic acting traditions of Stanislavski and his proponents.
(Photo credits: Tommy Ray.)