Publicity is one of those things that is hard to understand and even harder to factor in during the busyness of making a film. Learn the basics from Nicola Pender a publicist with a background in media relations, on-set publicity, social media and marketing in the Entertainment industry.
About The ABCs of Publicity for Filmmakers
– an intensive one day course.
Location: Brightside Cinema 1193 Grant Street Vancouver BC V6A 2J7
This information-packed day will give you the basic tools and information you need to release your film to the world, whether hiring a publicist or going solo this course will give you the basic need-to-know info for all things promotion. The day is interactive, part lecture, part discussion, part writing exercises.
Through discussion and in-class exercises we will learn about deliverables, basic press release information and what you need to do and know before hiring a publicist.
Who is it for?
This course is for new and emerging filmmakers, actors and producers who want to learn more about the importance of promotion. If you have a project in mind, bring that with you and use it as your foundation for the days learning.
Who Should Attend?
This is a great entry point for anyone wanting to learn how to promote their project, things to keep in mind during production as well as how to get projects out inot the world.
Hiring a publicist isn’t always an option so we invite writers, directors,producers, actors, filmmakers, crew and anyone with an interest in publicity to join us.
What will I get?
You will walk away from the day with a better understanding of the immortal e of publicity and starting early. We will touch on timelines, deliverables and will work together to write sample releases and press kits.
What you will learn:
- Introductions, chat about my career, where I started, where I am now and what I have learned about the industry and specifically media relations.
- Round table introductions: (Name, Background, Why you’re here and what you’re hoping to learn, does anyone have any specific projects they are looking to promote – pick a project either your favourite film or a film you’re working on)
EXERCISE: What are some of your favourite films?
WHAT IS PUBLICITY &
WHAT DOES A PUBLICIST DO:
- Role on set – what is a publicist responsible for and who do they report to on set
- Relationships with press & production
- Relationships with talent
- How can publicity impact your film or television series
- How marketing, social media & publicity intersect
- Who hires a publicist
- Creating a targeted media strategy
- When to hire a publicist
- What to do before hiring a publicist
- When to hire a publicist
- When should you start thinking about publicity (ASAP)
- When do press releases go out
- Gauging expectations
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO CREATE A PRESS RELEASE
- What to consider during production
- What information to gather
EXERCISE: Here we will define the basic needs and deliverables, work through samples and create our own loglines, short/long synopses and boilerplates using your own project or favourite film.
THE BASICS OF WRITING A PRESS RELEASE
- Tips and tricks for writing an effective press release
- What to include
- Who and how to credit
EXERCISE:Write a sample press release for your project or your favorite film.
WHAT IS A PRESS KIT &
WHAT GOES INTO A PRESS KIT
- Here we will go through what to include in a press kit
- We will look at sample press kits
Some Assembly Required press kit
True Dating Stories press kit
WHAT IS AN EPK &
WHAT GOES INTO AN EPK
- What is an EPK used for and who sees it
- How to write intriguing EPK questions
- Effectivesample EPK’s and where you can use them
EXERCISE: CREATE A LIST OF SAMPLE EPK QUESTIONS pick a film or television property you know and love or write a list for your own project
HOW SOCIAL MEDIA, MARKETING & PUBLICITY INTERSECT
- A project is a brand so we will discuss how Publicity. Marketing and Social media converge to bring your project to life
WRAP UP QUESTIONS
We retire to a nearby bar for networking drinks. Discuss your ideas with fellow participants. find collaborators. or just come and hang out. the beer is cold and delicious.
About the Instructor – Nicola Pender
Nicola Pender is a Public Relations professional with more than a decade of experience as the Director of Communications at Thunderbird Entertainment, one of Canada’s top production companies. At Thunderbird, Nicola was responsible for corporate communications, talent relations, branding, international junkets, red carpets, press releases and pitching for both film and television. If it had anything to do with the media Nicola was front and centre. She has worked on some of the top entertainment properties and with some of the top talent in the world. Highlights of her career include multiple world premiere’s at the Toronto International Film Festival, working the red carpet at the London International Film Festival and being a part of Canada’s #1 comedy Kim’s Convenience.
Did you know?
- RAINDANCE members save 20% on this course! You can join online >HERE< and start saving immediately
- ACTRA/UBCP members save 20% on this course!
- The Raindance Guarantee: If this course fails to meet your expectations, let us know at lunchtime on the first day and we will make a full, 100% no-questions-asked refund
Ask a question about The ABCs of Publicity for Filmmakers