Legendary Film Instructor Dov Simens
brings his famed 2-Day Film School
THE CONCEPT: Hollywood is a business. It’s called show business. It’s not called show art. And anyone, with talent (talent can’t be taught), can learn the business of making and selling Feature Films, even Documentaries & TV/Cable Programs, once given the basic information.
THE PROOF: With this simple concept the “2-Day Film School” has launched 1,000s of film careers (Quentin Tarantino, Will Smith, Guy Ritchie, Chris Nolan, Damon Wayans, Queen Latifah, etc.) that have led to over $16,000,000,000 (Yes, B) in Box Office successes.
THE CURRICULUM: The course assumes you have talent and is broken into two days focusing 100% on the business (Day-1) of making a feature film and the business (Day-2) of selling that feature film.
Day 1: Saturday Make it! “FILMMAKING A-Z”
– teaches step-by-step how to create, write, package, cast, direct, shoot & edit your first HD/Digital feature film on budgets from as little as $10,000 (Micro-Budget) to as high as $10,000,000 (Low-Budget).
Topics covered include:
- Independent Filmmaking Basics
- Micro- & Low-Budget Secrets
- Creating & Protecting Ideas
- Writing & Selling a Great Screenplay
- Directing Script, Cast & Crew
- Directing On-Schedule & On-Budget
- Directing 5-7 Pages per Day
- Casting Name Actors & Talent
- Budgeting & Scheduling Techniques
- Pre-Production, Paperwork & Planning
- HD/Digital Filmmaking Costs & Savings
- Shooting the 1-3 Week Features
- Selecting Camera Formats & 3D
- Hiring Crew & Renting Equipment
- Lighting, Shooting & Sound Basics
- Editing, Scoring & Lab Work
- PLUS…MUCH-MUCH MORE
Day 2: Sunday Sell it! “DEALMAKING A-Z”,
– teaches how to market, sell and finance feature films by attending festivals, while securing pre-sells & maximizing profits from Theatrical, Foreign, Cable/TV, DVD, VOD, SOD, EST and 20 other revenue sources.
Topics covered include:
- Understanding the Hollywood System
- Producing a Marketable Project
- Financing $10K-$50K Micro-Budgets
- Financing 3-5 Week Union Features
- Financing $1,000,000-$2,000,000 Feature
- Pre-Selling $2,000,000-$10,000,000 Films
- Hiring Writers & Optioning Properties
- Government Funding Programs
- Co-Production Deals at Cannes & Sundance
- Crowd Funding Donations & Equity
- Working with Agents & Attorneys
- Attending Festivals & Winning Awards
- Securing Gross & Net Distributor Deals
- Cable/TV Deals & Sales
- On-Demand & Pay-Per-View Revenues
- Maximizing Grosses & Profits
- PLUS…MUCH-MUCH MORE
*The 2-day Film intensive also includes:
Who should attend:
Anyone contemplating making a feature film
Dov on Dov
I never went to an expensive film school. I graduated from Muhlenberg College (Allentown, PA, 1965, BA-Economics) and spent 3 years in the army (1st Lieutenant, Special Forces, ’66 – ’69). After Vietnam, I owned a successful bookstore in Carmel, California.
In 1980, I sold the store, took the cash and went to Hollywood with an idea and a dream. I chased the deal, called agents, met studio heads, pitched development execs, hustled bankable stars and foreign buyers. I optioned books, true life stories and wrote scripts. Finally, I put my money where my mouth is, wrote bank checks and made a 90-minute 35mm feature film that won festival awards and made money.
“I learned to make movies from beginning to end… not from film school theory but from street reality.”
Dov made over 100 films as a production manager, line producer and producer-director for the likes of Roger Corman (the King of B-Movies), Crown, Canon, and New Line Cinema.
“…During the past 20 years, I have taught how to produce, write or direct with amazing success (graduates to date have grossed over $11 Billion) and have perfected my craft. I am proud of my teaching ability. I do not present myself as a great producer or the great director. For I am not! And great producers or directors, the Spielbergs & the Coppollas, you will discover are not great teachers. But what I am, is exactly what you want, “a great film instructor”, who is proud to give you the most amount of Hollywood filmmaking information, for the least amount of money, in the shortest period of time.”
As Quentin Tarantino agrees: “INSPIRATION! Why waste 4 years at a film school? I got Dov [Simens’] …Film School, shot ‘Reservoir Dogs’ and ‘Pulp Fiction,’ and launched my career as a writer who controls his scripts.”
Dov teaches regularly at colleges, universities and film schools around the world. He is the founder of THE BIZ , a $5.5 million resource center for independent filmmakers in Santa Monica, California. His best selling book, “From Reel to Deal” is published by Warner Books.
What do Quentin Tarantino, Guy Ritchie, Kirk Jones, Will Smith and Baz Luhrmann have in common? All are former students of Dov Simens’ famed 2-Day Film School, and have gone on to write, direct and produce critically and commercially successful films.
Dov’s students have gone on to gross over �10 BILLION at the box office, and direct and produce such critical and commercial hits as Inglorious Bastards, Sherlock Holmes, The Karate Kid (2010), Hancock, Australia, X-Men, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2, Snatch, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Fuel (documentary), Sin City, Moulin Rouge!, Reservoir Dogs, Insomnia, Meet The Parents and more.
In the new Global Film Market, writers are now multi-hyphenate professionals: writer-producer, writer-director, etc. Why spend 4 years or $40,000 at a pretentious film school when Dov Simens delivers the real information you need to write, produce, finance, direct, market and distribute your own feature film (35mm, Digital, HD, 3D, etc.) in just two intense days, whether your budget is $5,000, $25,000 or $400,000.
Cancellation Policy: If you cancel 10 days or less from the event date your full fee will be forfeited, but you may apply it to future seminars within one year of your first scheduled seminar. If you cancel more than 10 days prior to the event date then a $75 fee will be retained to cover administrative costs.
Ask a question about the 2 Day Film School