- This event has passed.
May 2, 2015 @ 9:00 am - May 3, 2015 @ 6:00 pm
Directing Actors with Peter D. Marshall
Working with actors can be one of the most rewarding experiences for a film director - or one of the most traumatic! And the difference between a good experience and a bad experience usually comes down to one word: TRUST!
Actors begin by trusting the director - and it's the director's trust to lose. If an actor feels they cannot trust the director to know a good performance from a bad performance, the actor will begin to monitor his own performances.
And when an actor begins to watch himself, he begins to direct himself - and when he does this, he starts to become Director Proof.
The main objective of this Directing Actors workshop is to demonstrate how directors and actors can work effectively together to build trust; to maximize performance on set; and understand how to work together cooperatively in a tense, time-sensitive and often challenging creative environment.
On Day One, the focus will be on the Director's script preparation, as well as live demonstrations of the audition process, the script read-through and the cast rehearsal.
On Day Two, the class will be divided into groups and have the opportunity to participate in directing a scene with professional actors. Each scene will be recorded and played back for discussion and review.
2. The Director/Actor Working Relationship
3. The Film Director's Performance Mantra
4. The Director's Script Preparation
5. The Director's Audition Process
- What Directors Look for in the Casting Session
- How it Works: The Audition (Casting Session)
- How it Works: The First Callback
- How it Works: The Second Callback
- What Directors Look for when Reviewing Auditions
6. DEMO: How to Conduct a Proper Casting Session
7. DEMO: The Script Read-Through
8. DEMO: The Cast Rehearsal
9. The Blocking and Rehearsal Process
10. The Director's 9 Part Scene Breakdown Process
11. CLASS WORK: Prepare Scenes for Day 2 Presentations
1. CLASS EXERCISE: Scene Presentations with Actors
- Participants collaborate to direct a scene with professional actors
- Participants get hands-on directing experience working with professional actors
2. Playback Scene Presentations for Class Review
- The scenes will be recorded for playback and class discussion
- The actors will also participate with creative and constructive feedback
3. That's a Wrap
Thank you to CINEWORKS - our Partner in organizing the workshop who provided us with their Studio on Howe Street to use for Directing Actors.