Raindance makes filmmakers.
Talk to us individually about your career needs and how this programme might help by
Thinking about taking our online M.A. degree if you live outside London or the UK ?
Join Elliot Grove and Tiska Wiedermann LIVE online where they will answer your questions
Register to attend any upcoming Information Webinar online by clicking on the date below:
The ideal postgraduate film degree for people managing complicated schedules. Full time or part time, online or London-based. A modular study programme in which you design 80% of your curriculum in negotiation with mentors and industry experts.
Raindance now has 150 students on six continents, in London-based or international online study groups.
Develop a film project while learning and developing your skills and knowledge; move your screenplay forward while better understanding your story and theme; or explore new directions in digital and transmedia storytelling while learning new directions in digital marketing and distribution; all with expert industry guidance from Raindance - Europe's largest film training provider & maverick independent film festival.
|M.A./M.Sc. Film by Negotiated Learning||Validating Institution:||Staffordshire University|
|Working industry professionals||Venue:||London-based or Online|
|Date:||Next London based programme starts March 6th 2016
Next Online programme starts
|Duration:||Full time, approx. 35-40 hours per week
Part time, approx. 15-20 hours per week
|Time:||Full-Time: One Year
Part-Time: Two Years
|Tuition Fees:||£9,950 (including £500 deposit)|
There is a new government loan scheme for UK Postgraduate students.
Current Application Deadlines
|Online Degree||London Degree|
|Application deadline (online form, deposit and paperwork):||April 22nd 2016||January 22nd 2016
July 22nd 2016
|Interviews held between:||May 2nd - 6th 2016||Feb 1st - 6th 2016
Aug 1st - 5th 2016
|Programme start date:||June 5th 2016
||March 6th 2016
September 11th 2016
|Completion:||June 2017 (full time)
June 2018 (part time)
|March 2017 (full time)
September 2017 (full time)
September 2018 (part time)
Develop your voice as an independent filmmaker in a Masters programme
Most academic programmes are boxes you have to try to fit into.As a creative, you want to study filmmaking creatively, investigatively, and on your own terms. As an independent filmmaker, you want to develop your own voice.
This programme creates the box around you.
The Raindance Postgraduate Film Degree is delivered in collaboration with Staffordshire University and allows you to achieve:
- Skill and career development in an area of film, TV or web content of your own choosing, negotiating your learning pathway and your goals
- An M.A. degree following a creative or industry-focused pathway; or an M.Sc. degree following a research-focused pathway
- In a flexible, modular structure which you design up to 80%, in negotiation with mentors and industry professionals.
- Using a reflective and analytical learning practice that develops your decision-making skills and your voice as an independent filmmaker
- London based or Online.
Raindance benefits and opportunities - in your pocket:
Become a postgraduate student and tap into Raindance expertise and our worldwide networks - no matter where you reside:
- Receive mentoring by working industry professionals;
- Negotiate access to production resources, collaborators, development and marketing opportunities through the Raindance network;
- Collaborate with potential creative partners and peers through your student cohort, locally or internationally
- Gain access to open Raindance classes, lectures and networking events worldwide (London, Toronto, Los Angeles) - subject to availability;
- Get festival passes for Raindance, Cannes and TIFF
- Gain free access to the annual Raindance Film Festival and Raindance WebFest
"The Raindance MA program was unique in that it allowed me to leverage my prior film work and experience, my current endeavours, and my future plans and aspirations into a cohesive academic learning contract. This enabled me to synthesize my creative pursuits and my academic interests, and apply both towards an MA. I have not found any other degree program that allows that much flexibility and self-direction. I very much enjoyed the program." - Katherine Fitzgerald, Ottawa Canada, Postgraduate Student, 2015
"The postgraduate programme gave me great freedom in deciding what projects to work on and thus gave me the freedom to build my own curriculum. I also enjoyed the great variety of classes that taught me filmmaking skills I might have never learned otherwise."
- Jesco Puluj, Postgraduate Student, 2013
Flexible & career-focused: Can you really design your own degree?
Your learning activities, pathway and goals are developed in negotiation with your industry mentors.
Every student is engaged in a unique learning plan that focuses on key learning questions and knowledge areas you wish to develop within this unique postgraduate framework. Just to name a few:
- Plan, write and develop your script, film, pilot or web series, reflecting and analyzing your choices and decisions;
- Get your package documentation ‘market-ready’ through current industry research, with guidance from industry professionals;
- Experiment and test out your style and voice in a Raindance environment that supports creative innovation and verve
- Research, plan and shoot a short, web series, documentary, or work toward a feature length project development, implementing best practice
- Research, design and test a crowd funding campaign through understanding current industry analytics to support your strategy
- Study specific genres, narrative or filmmaking styles to deepen and enrich your material
- Research, analyse and test new ways to build an audience, finance a project or self-distribute a film or digital project
Programme Structure and Content
This programme has a fixed framework and structure but self designed, negotiated content for learning. It is NOT a traditional, fixed curriculum or pre-designed course that tells you what to do. It requires a high level of personal goal-setting, planning, research and resourcefulness to design your own pathway. You will negotiate the content of your learning with your mentors and advisors, engage in both group learning and independent study, and take responsibility for initiating, developing and executing a learning plan that you've designed and negotiated to meet both your learning needs and university postgraduate requirements.
To find out more about the programme structure, content and details, click here
Non-traditional students: build a programme around you
- Are you a mid or late career filmmaker looking to teach, and require a masters degree to support this career shift?
- Are you a professional in allied arts such as theatre, dance or visual art, and want to explore how filmmaking or digital storytelling can combine to extend your existing craft and reach out to a broader audience?
- Do you want to develop your visual and narrative skills to develop branded content or to strategically align with corporate opportunities for branded storytelling?
- Do you want to stop making your mother happy, give up your legal career and start making cause-based documentaries?
What's your idea? What would you like to accomplish?
Work with mentors to craft the details and plan the road map to reach your goal.
If you would like to speak to someone for more details, or to discuss how this Postgraduate Film Degree can enhance your own career, email us at email@example.com to set up a Skype call with Programme Director Tiska Wiedermann.
In UK or Europe, give us a call at 0207 930 3412. / In U.S. or Canada, call us at 1.855.595.RAIN
"I have learnt so much in the 5 months I have attended the course. I have found the lectures extremely informative and enjoyable and I have also attended some extra Raindance seminars that have been excellent. I feel that I have had lightbulb moments on this course and now have the tools and understanding to go and make the five films on my slate. It has also been a pleasure to receive the support and feedback of my tutors and it has really helped me expand my thinking." - Lamia Nayeb, London, UK, Postgraduate student, 2012
"The Post Graduate programme at Raindance gave me an opportunity to explore and develop the story I wanted to write. The discipline and desire to achieve the award made the journey more satisfying but also accomplished in a short time frame. I have a script that has exceeded my expectations, this is completely due to the Negotiated Learning Postgraduate programme. I have met like minded people and some will continue to be part of my world." - Claire Stevens, London UK, Postgraduate Student, 2013
Alumni who have benefitted from Raindance training include such successes as Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World), Oscar® winning screenwriter Julian Fellowes (Gosford Park, The Young Victoria, Downton Abbey), Guy Ritchie (Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels; Snatch; Sherlock Holmes), Matthew Vaughn (Layer Cake, Stardust, Kick-Ass), and Christopher Nolan (Memento, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Inception).
Raindance Makes Filmmakers
Raindance reserves the right to change or update the process of application and delivery of the programme without notice, to accommodate evolving student and academic needs, as well as mentor availability. However, we will make every effort to update this website accordingly.
Raindance reserves the right to cancel this programme up until date of commencement. Provisions for a place at a future date will be secured.
If you have a moment please fill in applicants survey. Many thanks!