- This event has passed.
Breaking Into Hollywood
February 28 @ 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm
This info-packed session is available in person, live online, and on video-on-demand*.
In Europe and want to watch live online? Good news! This session starts at 12:30pm PST (Los Angeles time) and 8:30pm GMT (London time).
If you really want to work in Hollywood as a writer, director or producer, your chances of success will improve if you make a plan of attack. Learn how to identify areas of interest, and how to approach the right people - the people who can help you, or who can hire you.
- Creating a showreel
- Presenting yourself: CV's and query letters
- How to break in as a writer, a director or producer
- Getting jobs on crew: sound, camera, art department, post-production etc.
- Where to find good entertainment-related job listings
- Getting yourself visible in the industry
Julia Verdin is a British film producer and founder of Rough Diamond Productions, established in 1994. She has established herself as one of Hollywood’s leading producers with over 30 feature films. She is best known for producing the Sony Classics release The Merchant of Venice, directed by Michael Radford, and starring Al Pacino, Jeremy Irons and Joseph Fiennes, the Newmarket release Stander, directed by Bronwen Hughes, and starring Tom Jane, Deborah Unger, Dexter Fletcher and David O’Hara, and the Breaking Glass release 2 Jacks, based on Leo Tolstoy short story “Two Hussars,” directed by Bernard Rose, and starring Danny Huston, Jack Huston, Sienna Miller, Jacqueline Bisset and Billy Zane.
Verdin has recently executive produced Lionsgate release Born of War, directed by Vicky Jewson, and starring James Frain and Sophia Black D’Elia. This year she has just directed her first film Lost Girls staring Bar Paly, Marisol Nichols and Jamie Harris, and produced The Unwilling directed by Academy Award nominated director Jonathan Heap, and starring Dina Meyer, Jake Thomas and Lance Henriksen.
She is currently developing various projects with writers and directors including Academy Award and Palme d’Or nominated writer/director James Dearden; acclaimed festival award winning writer/director Éva Gárdos; Academy Award Nominated director Jonathan Heap; WGA Autumn Stories 2010 winner screenwriter Cynthia Riddle, and director Vincenzo Natali.
Verdin is a top film consultant having provided consulting services on development and production. She also wrote the critically acclaimed book, Success in Film, a detailed guide to funding, making and finishing independent films.
Verdin served on the BAFTA LA Board of Directors for many years. She is based in Los Angeles, and still maintains a base in London.
- Halil has been working at Rough Diamond Productions as the Head of Production. He works with the president Julia Verdin on development, production and marketing on the various films including the recently release 2 Jacks (2012) starring Siena Miller, Danny Huston and Jack Huston, served as Co-Producer on Lost Girls (2016) starring Bar Paly, Marisol Nichols and Siena Goines, Associate Producer on The Unwilling (2016) starring Lance Henriksen, Dina Meyer and David Lipper, and also is attached to serve as producer on uBefore working at Rough Diamond, he worked as an executive assistant to the Number 1 Media Group CEO Omer Karacan and Alasdair Dundas. He completed UCLA Extension’s TV/Film Producing year-long course and also holds a BA Degree in Business Administration with a minor in Marketing from Sabanci University in Istanbul. He speaks English, Turkish and German.
How to attend In Person In Los Angeles or Live Online or watch on Video-On-Demand (VOD)?
Registrants are free to attend Raindance LA classes In Person or Live Online. There is also an additional option to catch up on missed classes by watching VOD links.
We do not require registrants to make any prior selection on how they will attend the classes.
Registrants are free to make their own choice of attendance. For example, in the event that 15 filmmakers register for a class, (1) we ensure that a classroom is prepared to seat 15 people, (2) we ensure email invitation to join the class Live Online to all registrants, and (3) we ensure that emails are sent out with VOD links - again - to all registrants.
For Live Online courses, Raindance LA uses an easy-to-use software. We email each registrant a link to the virtual classroom 30 minutes prior the session begins. All they need to do is click the link provided in the email and enjoy the class! Please have a look at the Online Courses FAQ if you have more questions.
A VOD link on Vimeo is emailed to every registrant 24-48 hours after the end of each class.