Raindance Accelerated BTEC Level 5 HND in Moving Image (leading toward Masters Degree in Film)
October 6 - October 7
Raindance is proud to offer an accredited BTEC Level 5 HND in Moving Image (leading towards Masters Degree in Film)
At Raindance, we don’t just teach film. We create filmmakers...
Raindance was started as a thought experiment to prove that you could make a movie without money, training, or experience. Many successful filmmakers have come through our doors since we launched the Raindance Film Festival in 1992, and continue to do so year after year. That’s because we don’t just teach; we show you how you can take that dream movie idea from concept to fruition.
The film industry is about who you know…
With Raindance, you are not just enrolling onto a film course. You are joining a complete ecosystem of creative, like-minded people from around the world. Amongst this rich, vibrant network of professionals, you may well find your potential collaborator, employer, or even a new best friend. It is the people that you meet who will help you turn your projects into reality.
You can work full-time, whilst you study full-time, so you can graduate without student loan debt…
Our Higher Education courses are the most flexible full-time programmes available. The fast-track HND Level 5 Diploma in Moving Image allows you to choose between studying over two consecutive weekdays, three evenings or during the weekend, so you can really plan around your work/life commitments. If for any reason you cannot attend a lesson, you can join one of our other cohorts so you won’t miss a thing. We also have flexible, interest-free payment plans so you can pay as you earn!
You can achieve a full Master’s degree in the same time it would take to obtain a Bachelor’s Degree…
After completing our two-year Fast-Track HND, you can progress straight onto the Raindance Postgraduate degree, offering so much more than a traditional university. This is possible because our fast-track programme also includes twenty industry-led Raindance signature courses as part of the package, to ensure you are completely industry ready by the time you graduate.
We are involved in every part of the film industry…
We don’t just talk about filmmaking. We practice what we preach, and we know the film business at every level. Our film festival is listed by Variety as one of the world’s top 50 ‘unmissable film festivals’. Raindance presents features and shorts by filmmakers from around the world to an audience of film executives and buyers, journalists, film fans and filmmakers.
When we are not showcasing films, we have a go at making our own. Raindance Raw Talent is our very own film production company, formed to make movies of all shapes and sizes utilising the amazing talent that crosses our paths through the film school and festival.
We are cheaper than other film schools…
Independent filmmaking is not just about learning the tools and crafts. It is about understanding the business, and knowing where you should invest your money to maximise production value.
At Raindance, we believe you should invest in your own projects rather than towards fancy state-of-art studios and facilities you may never otherwise have access to after you graduate. With this in mind, we have set our fee at just £5,999 per year for our HND Level 5 Fast-track programme, whilst providing you with all the tools you need to get your own projects off the ground. What’s more, you can spread the cost over three termly instalments of just £2,000 each. Rest assured, we may be price competitive, but we never compromise on quality!
We offer so much more than just an education…
Don’t mistake our HND course with others on offer. Let’s summarise just some of the benefits you will receive when studying with us:
- Access to over £4,000 worth of Raindance’s renowned, industry-led signature courses
- Small class sizes with specialist tutors
- Individually licensed access to the full Adobe Creative Cloud, allowing you to install all the software you need on your own devices.
- A truly flexible study programme that allows you to work full-time whilst studying a full-time course during days, evenings, or weekends.
- BFI and Raindance membership with access to exclusive events, online forums, and networking events throughout the course, worth £95.
- Complimentary pass to Raindance Film festival worth over £100 per year.
- Access to our networking events giving you the opportunity to get out there as soon as you start.
- Opportunities to work on your own projects as part of your education.
There has never been a better time to become an independent filmmaker…
New technology allows us to achieve what was once only possible in state-of-art studio productions. We will teach you the insider tips and tricks that will allow you to maximise your budget and put value for money on the screen.
Don’t believe it’s possible? Directors such as Gareth Edwards, Christopher Nolan, and Robert Rodriguez all made their first feature films in a bedroom studio. They could only achieve this by moving away from the ‘factory’ approach to filmmaking that is adopted by film studios and taught in conventional film schools, and by applying guerrilla filmmaking techniques that make micro-budget filmmaking possible.
Come and talk to us…
Applying for higher education is a big step, and even bigger commitment, so we want to make sure you know exactly what to expect when you join us. Come to one of our HE info sessions with any questions you might have. We look forward to hearing from you!
Email Course Leader Zulf Choudhry at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Higher National Diploma (HND) is an internationally recognised UK qualification that provides specialist vocational learning at levels 4 and 5. HNDs are delivered at universities and colleges and are considered the equivalent of the first two years of a three-year university degree course. Students can often progress onto the final year of a degree programme to obtain a full B.Sc./B.A. (Hons). The HND in Moving Image allows you to progress onto our Master’s Postgraduate programme in Film, saving you a year over conventional routes.
Although the HND programme is full-time, we have structured it to allow you to work around your work/life commitments. We plan to run four groups as follows:
- Group A - Monday & Tuesday (10am – 5pm)
- Group B - Wednesday & Thursday (10am – 5pm)
- Group E (Evenings) – Monday, Wednesday & Thursday (6pm – 9pm)
- Group W (Weekend) - Saturday & Sunday (10am – 5pm)
* Groups will run subject to recruitment.
Raindance Professional courses run at various times during evenings and weekends.
We aim to restrict class sizes to 15 per group. This allows us to run practical workshops and give all our students on-going hands-on support throughout their learning.
Student housing in central London is very expensive, which is another reason why our model is perfect for students who cannot commute from home. Hotels can be booked for as little as £75 per night in the area if booked in advance. As you only need one night, you can travel from Paris and back with a night’s stay for less than a week’s rent.
Students under 21 years should ideally have GCSE English at grade A*-C (grade 9 - 4) and a full Level 3 qualification such as BTEC, A Level or an Access to HE Course. If you have industry experience, we can consider your application on a case-by-case basis.
Students over 21 can apply as mature students providing they can demonstrate the ability (and experience) to study at the appropriate level. Employment history will be advantageous and qualifications taken several years ago will also be taken into account.
All students study common modules in their first year. This builds the foundation of the study programme:
HND - Year 1 Modules:
- Contextual studies for creative media production
- Research techniques for creative media production
- Practical skills for moving image production
- Film studies
- Camera and lighting techniques for moving image production
- Development and techniques for film and video editing
- Promotional video production
- Script writing for moving image fiction.
Raindance Year 1 Courses:
- Saturday film school
- Filmmakers foundation certificate
- Directors foundation certificate
- Writers foundation certificate
- Technical foundation certificate
- Basic cinematography
- Hands on directing 1
- Hands on directing 2
- Directing actors
- Movie Genre Foundation Certificate.
In the second year, students start to specialise in specific areas of filmmaking, developing their skills further and working in teams on industry-style projects.
HND - Year 2 Modules:
- Project design, implementation and evaluation
- Special subject investigation for creative media production
- Career development for the moving image industries
- Fiction production for the moving image
- Sound design for moving image production
- Producer for moving image production
- Director for moving image production
- Moving image documentary production.
Raindance - Year 2 Courses:
- Producers foundation certificate
- Documentary foundation certificate
- Comedy intensive with Steve Kaplan
- Lo-To-No budget filmmaking with Elliot Grove
- Saturday VR film school
- Create and market your web series
- Script analysis for directors
- The short film project
- Write and sell the Hot script
- Pitching Skills Workshop.
* Units can be subject to change.
Assessment is through a series of assignments including research modules, hands-on practical exercises and group projects.
Units are interlinked to replicate "real world" scenarios and offer the opportunity for students to build a range of skills to maximise employment opportunities.
Upon successful completion and approval, students can progress onto the Raindance Master's one-year programme in Film, allowing them to obtain a Masters Degree within 3 years of starting this course.
Students can enter employment in a wide range of roles within the film industry. Careers include screenwriting, directing, producing, documentary filmmaking or cinematography.
You will just need a laptop computer that meets the requirements to run the Adobe Creative Suite. If you don’t have a laptop computer, Raindance can supply you one at a discounted price. Come and talk to us before making your purchase.
When we have received your application we will contact you to arrange an interview time.