- This event has passed.
Saturday Film School with Elliot Grove
August 29, 2015 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Europe’s Most Popular Filmmaking Course
Raindance's pioneering one-day filmmaking course has now been taken by over 12,500 people and helped launch the careers of independent filmmakers worldwide.
In one powerful and information-packed day in Berlin, Raindance founder Elliot Grove will explain the basics of screenwriting, directing and shooting a film and launching your career, and teach you the tools and techniques used by filmmakers like Edgar Wright and Christopher Nolan.
GET 20% OFF when you take part in both the Saturday Film School AND the Producers' Foundation Certificate course: http://www.raindance.org/berlin/course/20-off-saturday-film-school-producers-foundation-course-pack/
GET 20% OFF when you take part in both the Saturday Film School AND the TV Writers' Intensive: http://www.raindance.org/berlin/course/20-off-saturday-film-school-tv-writers-intensive-pack/
About the Course
Divided into 4 parts, this course begins with Writing the Screenplay before explaining the processes, tools and jobs of actually Making the Movie for whatever budget you can achieve. After lunch, Elliot asks So You Want To Direct? This entertaining and revealing session will uncover some of the secrets behind framing and directing actors, followed by how to Break Into the Film Industry, touching on CVs, pitching, negotiating and personal branding.
Every participant is provided with a 16-page handout containing tips, tricks, resources and more. The day after each participant will receive a follow-up email with additional links to valuable information.
10:00 – 11:30am Writing The Screenplay
Have you ever had an idea for a movie?
Let Elliot Grove explain to you the basic principles of writing screenplays and demonstrate the powerful storytelling tools used by the professionals.
- Finding an idea
- Creating memorable characters
- Playing with story structure
- Copyright and legal basics
- How movies are bought and sold
11:30 – 11:45am Break
11:45 – 1:00pm Making the movie
Making movies is not complicated. It is hard work.
Elliot Grove explains how movies are produced and will explain dozens of shooting tips that will save you money and make it easier to get your movie made.
- Creating a budget
- Chosing a camera
- Shooting on locations
- Securing permissions for shooting in public
- Guerilla filmmaking demystified
1:00 – 2:00pm Lunch
2:00 – 3:45pm So you want to direct?
Why is it that everyone wants to direct, but no one ever takes the time to learn how?
Elliot will explain the principle basics of directing, and how to get the actors and crew to do what you want.
- Basics of film directing
- Crossing the line
- Camera placement and why it is important
- Communicating with your cast and crew
3:45 – 4:00pm Break
4:00 – 5:00pm Breaking Into the film industry
If you would like paid work in the film industry, this is the session for you. Elliot will explain how to prepare yourself for work as a writer, producer, director, camera operator, editor or art director.
- Showreels and CVs explained
- Choosing your field
- Marketing and promoting yourself
- Negotiating pay and what you can expect to earn
5:00 – 10:00pm Networking drinks
We retire to a nearby bar for networking drinks.
[This event has become very popular - bring lots of business cards and find a collaborator]
What is included?
- 16-page Course Handout includes script format guide used by professional screenwriters, storyboard templates, glossaries of filmmaking terms, budget templates, sample CV templates – will be provided.
- Follow-up email full of useful links and additional resources.
- Cold drinks will be available during coffee breaks (lunch is not included)
Who's it for?
The Saturday Film School is the ideal class for anyone wanting to get to know the film industry, whether they have previous experience or not. Taken by thousands of students around the world, it's Europe's most popular filmmaking class. At our classes we regularly see:
- Passionate young newcomers looking to break into the film industry
- Interested fans coming to see what it's all about
- Independent filmmakers seeking inspiration and clarification
- Film Industry professionals looking for a new direction
- Other industry professionals hoping for a new career!
But don't just take our word for it...
**Read a review of the Saturday Film School